- Thermoplastic elastomers, materials, properties, selection, problem solving.
- Engineering plastics, ABS, PC, nylon, PET, PBT, alloys, filled and fiber reinforced.
- Filled and reinforced PP, compounds, properties.
- Impact modifiers for PVC, nylons, PC, PC/PBT, PC/PET and related toughness testing.
- Flame retardant thermoplastic compounds and flame resistance testing (UL 94-VO).
- Compounding of thermoplastics, equipment, compounds, properties, processing.
- Testing and characterization of polymeric materials.
- ASTM specialty, FTIR, DSC, DMA, TGA, UL.
- Development of new compounds, product introduction, technical marketing.
- International consultant for the thermoplastic and thermoplastic elastomer products and markets.
- pecializes in technology trends and business analysis for growth and profitability, technical marketing of new products, material selection, product development, process optimization, application and market development.
Vice President and General Manager, Thermoplastic Specialty Products Division, Plasticolors Inc
- P&L, development, sales, marketing and manufacture of precolored custom compounds and color concentrates for the thermoplastics industry, with emphasis on thermoplastic elastomers.
Director of Technology, Furon Co., Macromeric Division
- Established and directed the technical program to develop new differentiated products for Furon divisions and for trade sales.
- Managed the compounding plant manufacturing and operations and directed the development of new flouropolymer based compounds and new flame retardant concentrates and compounds.
Associate Director of Research, Ferro Corporation
- Directed corporate polymer and plastics research and development to support new PP, ETP and advanced composite products and manufacturing processes.
- General Manager: Managed the Engineering Thermoplastics Division of the Specialty Plastics Group with P&L responsibility including the Anaheim, CA compounding facility and the Independence, OH Technical Center.
- Associate Research Director: Directed corporate polymer and plastics research and development to support growth of thermoplastic compounds, organic coatings and other polymer related programs.
Polymer Science and Technology and Senior Scientist Rohm and Haas Corporation
- Section Manager: Organized and directed polymer science programs and physical testing to support product and process development of acrylate polymers.
- Director of several different sections including Polymer Physics, Product Design and Engineering, Injection Molding, Sheet Extrusion and Structural Foam ABS products, Flame Retardant ABS and Blendex Impact Modifiers.
- Research Associate: Optimized product performance through relating polymer structure and composition to properties and processing.
- Senior Chemist: Developed and improved techniques for characterizing ABS and SAN polymer structure and predicting product performance.
Midland Silicones Ltd., Barry, Wales
- Chemist: Characterization of silicone polymers, developing polysiloxane structure-to-property relationships to support product and process development.
Honors & Publications
- SPE International, past President
- Over 35 technical papers and book chapters
- Ph.D., Physical Organic Chemistry, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, Wales
- B.Sc., Chemistry (Honors), University of Wales, Swansea