- Incompressible flow
- Compressible flow
- Transient flow
- Hydraulic surge
- Transient forces
- Flow induced vibration
- Relief device sizing
- Jet mixing
- Entrainment separation
- Line sizing
- Flow distribution
- Gas phase detonation
- Gas phase deflagration
- Modeling of spills in river systems including river hydraulics
Software Writing Program Models
- Transient hydraulic hammer models
- Relief device models
- River dispersion models
- Computer Languages: Fortran, Pascal, Visual Basic, VBA (Excel)
Undisclosed Company, 2009 - Present
- Consulting services in Fluid Mechanics
Becht Engineering, 2007
- On site with Dow Chemical providing consulting in the fluid mechanics area.
The Dow Company, Midland, MI, 2001 - 2006
Lead Process Engineer
- Transferred to Midland following the purchase of Union Carbide Corp. by The Dow Chemical Company applying expertise in the fluid mechanics and mixing discipline.
- Responsibilities included Dow's fluid mechanics design technology for process engineering.
- Design of equipment related to fluid mechanics.
- Fluid Flow Manual, training and mentoring and rejuvenating the Process Engineering Seminar Series.
Union Carbide Corporation, South Charleston, WV, 1975 - 2001
- Oversaw the Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics Group.
- Responsibilities included training in fluid dynamics and mixing.
- UCC's relief device sizing tools.
- Modeling of hydraulic transients.
- Modeling of spills to river systems
- Design of fluid mechanics and mixing equipment and advancing UCC's technology as appropriate.
- Involved with most of Union Carbide's chemical plants and processes.
General Electric Co., Aircraft Engine Group, Evandale, OH
- As the immediate Engineer in the Engine Stability and Installed Performance Technology Sub-Section.
Engineering Assistant, 1972 - 1973
- Analyzed compressor stall data for the Aircraft Engine Group
Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, VA
- Co-op position. Duties involved drafting, writing of test specifications and assisting is sea trails of a supply ship.
Honors & Publications
- Registered P.E. in West Virginia
- Registered P.E. in Michigan
- Thesis: A Relaxation Method for the Solution of Rotational Transonic Nozzle Flow
- Author and Co-Author of several peer reviewed scientific articles.
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA