- Biodegradable Polysuccimimide and Polyaspartates
- Isothiazolone Biocide Formulations
- Microencapsulation for a broad range of application areas - biocides, fungicides, herbicides, coating cross-linkers, fragrances
- Acrylic dispersions
- Leather Chemistry, including curing, tanning, coatings and analysis
- Biodegradable polymers based on aspartic acid chemistry, including manufacturing, synthesis, analysis, derivatization, and application studies based on aspartic acid chemistry.
Independent Consultant 2000 - Present
- Developed biodegradable polymers based on aspartic acid chemistry
Rohm & Haas Co. 1963 - 2002
- Marine Antifoulants, Foul Release Program, Controlled Release Programs.
- Biocides for Plastics/Composites, Biocides/Polymer Interactions, Physical properties of films, Binding of RH-287 to polymer substrates.
- Developed Biocides formulations: Encapsulation approaches to a non-sensitizing paint systems; effects of paint components on in-can stability; mechanism of decomposition of DBNPA; stable water dilutable DBNPA formulation, a solid, water soluble, formulation for RH-886.
- Leather Coatings and Leather Tanning Chemicals
- Pioneering Research Department: Invented 2 distinct microencapsulation processes; broad range of application areas - biocides, fungicides, herbicides, coating X-linkers, fragrances; identified new shell materials; water soluble as well as water insoluble target compounds; extended particle size to submicron range; invented new route to opacifying polymer for use as a TiO2 substitute in coatings; unique concept for a binder for intumescent paints.
- Coating Synthesis Department: Defined parameters for the synthesis and stabilization of acrylic emulsion polymers; Demonstrated the unexpected critical role for surfactant purity upon latex processing and properties which set stage for statistical process control the plants.
- Trade Sales Coating: Determined the mechanism of decomposition of mildewcide product in paints and developed systems for stabilization.
- Leather Coatings and Leather Tanning Chemicals: Discovered and proved the mechanism of a highly effective low cost, ambient curing mechanism; Extended application to leather coatings; Developed 2 highly successful leather finish coating binders; New process for leather tanning based on fundamental interpretation of collagen structure, function, chemical reactivity; Correlated Syntan/Collagen properties based on reactive functionality; Invented a process for making permanently white, non-yellowing glutaraldehyde tanned leather; Designed an improved performance, cost effective, low color sole leather tannage; Developed enzyme unhairing and soaking processes.
Honors & Publications
Dozens of Patents and Publications, including:
- Process for Microencapsulation
- Microencapsulation of Agrochemicals and Pharmaceuticals into Polymers
- Methods of Synthesis of Polysuccinimide or Polyaspastate by End Capping Polymerization
- Crosslinkable base coat resins for leather finishing
- The role of surfactants in polymerization
- Ph.D., New York University, New York, NY
- M.S., New York University, New York, NY
- B.S., Queens College, Flushing, NY