- Analytical chemistry specializing in the measurement of trace pesticides in food products and the environment.
- Metabolic rates and fates of pesticides.
- Orchestrated the EPA's acceptance of capillary electrophoresis (CE) as the industry's primary analytical tool for the determination of residues of imidazolinone herbicides in soil, water and plant samples.
- Facilitated industrial recognition and understanding of capillary electrophoresis.
- Established communication between Cyanamid, a competitor and the EPA on the industry-wide Multi-Analyte Residue Task Force.
- Led the development of a number of plant and soil residue test methods for a new rice herbicide.
Undisclosed Firm and College, 2001 - Present
- Develop and instruct courses in Good Laboratory Practice and Analytical Chemistry.
- Product Compliance Manager, Regulatory Compliance: Assurance that agricultural products brought to market are in accordance with registered specifications.
- Senior Group Leader: Environmental and Residue Sciences: Supervise and manage a group of scientists developing residue analysis methods for trace products in soil, water, plant and animal tissue environments.
- Senior Group Leader, Metabolism/Tracer Synthesis: Supervise a group of scientists studying metabolic rates and fates of registered compounds in plants and animals.
- Established a compliance process for good automated laboratory practices and validation within Metabolism, and Environmental Chemistry Department.
American Cyanamid Corporation, Leader and Senior Chemist, 1989 - 2001
- Group Leader, Metabolism/Tracer Synthesis: Manage scientists and technical assistants in research related to metabolism of registered compounds.
- Provided scientific data on the metabolic fates of trace compounds in plants and animals. Accountable for the activities of the radiotracer synthesis laboratory and for the storage and distribution of radiolabeled and bulk test materials.
- Group Leader, Residue Chemistry: Responsible for developing residue chemistry methods.
- Senior Research Chemist, Residue Chemistry: Duties included method development of the determination of pesticides in soil, water and plants. Techniques developed involved use of GC, LC, and solid phase extraction techniques. Involved in planning and executing farm worker exposure studies in Canada and the U.S.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists Member
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists: Co-Chair Capillary Electrophoresis
- Symposium, Orlando, San Diego, Montreal
- Co-Author of six publications
- Ph.D., Food and Resource Chemistry, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
- M.S., Food and Resource Chemistry, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
- B.S., Chemistry, Northeastern University, Boston, MA