- Electrochemical engineering
- Electrochemical processes and technology
- Fuel cells
- Process optimization
- Process design
- Electroplating and electrodeposition
- Electrochemical sensors
- Power sources
- Electrochemical reactors and cell design
- Process improvement and development
- Material and energy balances
- Technical and economic feasibility
Independent Consultant, 2005 - Present
Undisclosed Company, Founder and Director, 2009 - Present
- National and international recognized leader in the development of advanced electrochemical technologies with applications in hydrogen production (unconventional electrolysis), electrochemical water remediation, electro-synthesis of petrochemicals, sensors, batteries, and fuel cells.
- Current projects: Hydrogen production from biomass, hydrogen and fuel production from coal, low temperature coal fuel cells, synthesis of carbon nanotubes from coal char with applications in lithium batteries, graphene synthesis from coal, sensors, flow batteries, electrolyzers and fuel cells, urea/urine batteries, selective catalytic reduction, metals recovery and recycling, critical materials, sensors, and advanced ammonia heating appliances.
Undisclosed University, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department, 2002 - Present
Distinguish Professor, 2009 - Present
- Executing projects in the areas of; electrochemical engineering, power sources (advanced batteries), novel electrolyzers, sensors, flow batteries, numerical methods, mathematical modeling, materials science, and electro-catalysis.
Associate Professor, 2006 - 2009
- Administered courses in electrochemistry and electrochemical engineering, unit operations laboratory, modeling and computational methods and design.
- Led research graduate program in electrochemistry and electrochemical engineering.
Director, 2003 - 2009
- Transitioning of a lab to a center.
Undisclosed Technology Firm,Chief Technology Officer, 2008 - Present
- Commercialize and deploying energy technologies.
- Received international recognition for innovative technologies used to clean water as well as diesel and power plant emissions.
Celgard, Charlotte, NC, USA Graduate Intern, 1998 - 2000
- Performed thermal stability study of electrolytes, cathode and anode materials for secondary lithium batteries.
- Designed of AA lithium ion batteries and other studies to develop new products for the company.
Petrochimica de Venezuela, El Tablazo, Zulia, Venezuela Process Engineer, 1994 - 1998
- Petrochemicals experience.
- Process design and optimization.
- Quality control.
Honors & Publications
- Fellow of the World Technology Network
- Editor in Chief of a Scientific and International Journal
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Educator's Certification System - ECS
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers - AIChE
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers - ASEE
- Third Frontier Program for Research and Economic Development awarded approximately $1 million for alternative energy work in hydrogen production, ammonia fuel cells and wastewater remediation.
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of 40 publications in scientific journals.
- Over 150 international presentations.
- Four book chapters.
- Seven patents.
- Over 14 pending patents.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
- M.E. Chemical Engineering, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Universidad de Carabobo, Venezuela