- Semiconductor Processing: Ion implantation, epitaxy, plasma and wet etch, thin film deposition, and cleaning.
- CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) process flow and process integration.
- Micro-electro-mechanical systems - MEMS
- Radiation hardening for integrated circuits.
- Ionizing radiation processing for semiconductors, glass, and polymers.
- Antireflective glass - moth eye surface.
- Glass and ceramics: Making glass and ceramics, non-glare, non-reflective, fingerprint repelling, antimicrobial, scratch resistant and self-cleaning.
- Surface modification, surface smoothing, and surface damage removal.
- Thin films: Transfer silicon film during the ion implantation thin film transfer process.
- Compound semiconductors - gallium nitride GaN, silicon carbide SiC substrates for light emitting diodes. Other areas include:
- Crystal growth
- Silicon-on-Insulator - SOI
- Layer transfer (Smart-cut) process.
- Wafer bonding.
- Solar cells (silicon based).
Expert Witness Experience
- In area of semiconductor materials including silicon-on-insulator.
Independent Consultant, 2012 - Present
Corning, Inc. , Corning, NY, Research Associate, 2008 - 2012
- Invented glass surface modification making moth eye like surface topology.
- Resulting glass has lower reflectivity than any other glass.
- Enormous application potential for TV, computer, handheld screens and solar cell cover glass.
- Conceptualized process for chemical glass machining, similar to fotoform process, but no high temperature anneal needed.
- Next generation substrates for printed circuit boards thus enabled.
- Solved problems of single crystal silicon layer transfer onto glass by modifying smart-cut process.
- Silicon-on-glass substrate for potential use; computer integrated with display on a single sheet.
- Critically contributed to process of making solar silicon wafers directly from molten silicon (kerf-free) - cost of silicon substrates for solar cells can be significantly reduced.
- Provided a way to add self-cleaning, fingerprint-repelling, and self-disinfecting property to face surfaces of handheld devices - potentially can be used in all next generations handheld devices.
MEC Tech, Toms River, NJ, Chief Scientist, 2005 - 2008
- Developed process for making single crystalline silicon focus rings for plasma etching equipment - significantly lowered the cost.
- Implemented chemical polishing of crystalline silicon thus enabling complicated shapes to be polished: Quality of showerheads and focus rings for plasma equipment significantly improved.
Silicon Wafer Technologies, Newark, NJ, Chief Technology Officer, 2000 - 2005
CTO and Co-Founder
- Identified sources, prepared proposals, and obtained over $2 million funding to develop company product - silicon-on-insulator (SOI) wafer.
- Covered SOI process with numerical patents, thus established company' competitive edge in intellectual property.
- Fabricated prototypes of ultrathin SOI wafers useful for manufacturing of next generation chips.
- publicized company with presentations at many international conferences, and venture capital companies.
Honors & Publications
- Post Doctorate: MEMS (Microelectromechanical Systems), New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Materials Research Society
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers - IEEE
- American Physical Society
- International Society for Optics and Photonics - SPIE
- American Ceramic Society - ACerS
- Awarded; O-1 (extraordinary abilities) visa by Immigration Office to enter U.S. - Currently a U.S. Citizen.
- Research grants from Soros, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, and Fulbright foundations.
- Small Business Innovation Research - SBIR Phase I, Phase II from US Ballistic Missiles, U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, National Science Foundation, New Jersey Springboard fund.
Publications and Patents
- Over 100 publications including in top referred journals - Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Journal of Material Science, Semiconductor Science and Technology, IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology and many others.
- Over 20 Patents, many patents pending.
- Ph.D. Physics, Material Science, Moscow Technological University Moscow, Russia
- M.S.E.E. Semiconductors, Moscow Institute of Electronics Technology, Moscow, Russia