- Robotics space exploration and astronautical engineer with projects focusing to the solar system region.
- Deep space flight hardware, microbial sampling, biological assays, biological cleaning, microbial reduction, organizing the sampling results, creation of planetary protection documentation and processes.
- Ground Support Equipment (GSE), testing of multiple materials for a bio-barrier on the robotic arm, ensuring appropriate selection of material.
- Design and engineer space vehicles flight plans and vehicle performance.
- Team development, project management and logistic with strengths in solid communication, problem-solving skills and process improvement.
Independent Consultant, Present
NASA - Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA, 2001 - 2015
System Integration and Test Engineer of Site II, 2012 - 2015
- Supported the closeout process at mission completion, collaborated with all levels of personnel and management to review residual hardware for future use. Wrote agreements for residual hardware between Projects, NASA Centers and government agencies.
- Coordinated, resolved and dispositioned flight hardware from subcontractor back to JPL for future use, reclaiming $400K in hardware.
- Led the review and cataloguing of offsite hardware and identified potential future use, eliminating over 7% of the total inventory allowing for much needed space.
- Initiated redesign of team task tracking tool from manual to web-based system, making it more user friendly and improving efficiency.
- Mentored academic students, improving ability to understand company culture, be politically perceptive, efficiency, and problem solving.
- Received Group Achievement Award for exceptional support to JPL and NASA projects and proposals by reducing project cost and risk through the re-utilization of flight hardware and support equipment.
NASA - Planetary Protection (PP), 2001 - 2012
Engineer I, 2001 - 2009
Engineer II, 2009 - 2012
- Responsible for the performance of planetary protection activities in support of flight projects or instruments that have planetary protection requirements. Interfaced with all levels of personnel and management to meet the PP requirements.
- Supported the plan, cost, and schedule development. This included tracking all flight hardware, microbial sampling, biological assays, biological cleaning, microbial reduction, organizing the sampling results, and assisting in the creation of PP documentation.
Mars Science Laboratory (MSL), 2011
- Standardized the method of tracking all flight hardware through the different phases of the project, significantly improving the audit trail and trimming costs by 33%.
- Organized all of the sampling result and data in an accurate and timely manner, ensuring appropriate compliance with NASA PP requirements.
- Contributed to authoring of the PP Plan, the Pre-Launch Report, and Post-Launch Report, helping to secure launch approval by NASA PP Officer.
- Received four Group Achievement Awards for outstanding teamwork contribution to high quality launch services leading to launch of MSL and outstanding customer satisfaction.
Phoenix Mars Scout, 2007
- Created a unique template for Lockheed Martin to track flight hardware, significantly improving ability to deliver on PP requirements.
- Produced Ground Support Equipment (GSE) to assist in the testing of multiple materials for a bio-barrier on the robotic arm, ensuring appropriate selection of material.
- Authored PP End-of-Mission Report for the Project, ensuring compliance.
Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO), 2005
- Identified and created a new method of obtaining needed information on flight hardware to fulfill the PP requirements.
Deep Impact (DI), 2005
- Administered the Planetary Protection functions on the Project, ensuring compliance and preventing contamination of nearby planets.
Mars Exploration Rover (MER), 2003
- Participated and refined the method of tracking flight hardware, significantly improving the quality of the product.
- Developed the sampling schedule for the flight hardware, improving efficiency.
- Created several sampling stands used to obtain valuable environmental information for project.
- Received rare Merit recognition for Sustained Superior Performance.
- Group Achievement Award and Team bonus award for outstanding contribution to the Mars Exploration Rover Mission.
Bobrick Washroom Equipment, Hollywood, CA, Architectural Services Representative
- Responsible for a combination of duties including, but not limited to, price quotations, and inside sales and customer service/technical support for distributors, architects and sales representatives.
- Created process to generate monthly and quarterly reports to assist Sales Manager, improving efficiency and increasing sales.
- Organized the Competitors Storage facility by implementing four tasks that improved efficiency and productivity.
- Initiated redesign of competitors' products database from a spreadsheet to an Access database, making it more user-friendly and improving efficiency.
- Certificate of Achievement for contributing to the Methods Improvement Program
- Trained new personnel for Architectural Services Representative, improving proficiency.
ARCO Refinery, Los Angeles, arson, CA, Project Engineer
- Calculated flow rates and recommended a drain system that met customer's needs.
- Reviewed plans and existing drainage system for installation of Sample Station, attaining authorization, improving safety and preventing sampling contamination.
- Performed hydraulic calculations to re-evaluate cavitation on a pump, improving savings.
Shell Oil Products, Retail Engineering Department, Santa Ana, CA, Project Engineer
- Responsible in assisting several Project Managers on tasks, learn company culture and understand how smart engineering decisions lead to higher sales.
- Developed a standardized monthly drilling schedule, increasing work efficiency and reducing drilling cost by 12%.
- Conducted and presented a study on unexposed sites that reported traces of MTBE.
- Consulted design and upgrade process of service stations, improving sales volume.
Honors & Publications
- Project Management Professional, AAA University, Canoga Park
- Six Sigma Green Belt, AAA University, Canoga Park, Los Angeles, CA
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio) and Oracle
- Other software acuity: SolidWorks, Auto Cad and Unigraphics, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Manufacturing Enterprise Solutions Association (MESA)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Latino Business Association (LBA)
- Chair of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- President of the Latino/Hispanic Club
Accolades and Awards
- Designed and Manufactured Drive Train for SAE Formula Car (1st in)
- Group Achievement Award for exceptional support (JPL and NASA)
Co-Author of several publications with subjects in the area of:
- Planetary Protection Requirements
- Mars Science Laboratory
- Exploration Rover - Microbiological Cleanliness
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, California State University Northridge (CSUN), CA
- A.S. Computer Technology, Pierce College, Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, CA